Sunday, June 8, 2008

May 24th: Extra! Extra! Read All About It! Willow Finally Sleeps Through the Night!

Oh happy day!
Yes Virginia, Santa Claus does exist.
There is a God!

The unthinkable happened last night: Willow slept through the night! Just when I thought I could not take another night of 1-2 hours of sleep. I was at my wit's end; yesterday, I even went to see the pediatrician to be sure we were doing all the right things.

Out of sheer desperation, we made some modifications to Willow's room. We hooked up the iPod for soothing music. We plugged in a fan as "white noise" in the hopes that it would cover up the sounds of the creaking stairs. We gave her Motrin for the 2-year molar that is coming in. And I removed the bumper from the crib.

I think this was the catalyst to her sleeping through the night. Without the bumper, she is able to see as she lying down. We have suspected that she might be somewhat claustrophobic because of her reaction to being in smallish spaces but I have to admit that I did not think that she could feel that way about her crib because of the bumper. If this was the reason for her poor sleeping habits, I have only myself to blame; I liked the way it looked and resisted taking it off. (We plan to use it as a wall hanging instead.)

We put her down for the night at 8:00 pm; she cried for about 30 seconds and was out for the night! How do I know this? Because I am still on "Willow" time: up at 12:30 pm, 2:00 am, 4:00 am and 6:00 am. I hope it won't take me as long to get back to real time as it did to get over the jet lag from China! In the meantime, when I am up I will enjoy the sounds of a sleeping child. (Please, please, let this be a new trend and not an anomaly!)

No comments: